Both state and federal authorities have begun to crack down hard on sex related crimes in recent years, especially in regard to online sex crimes like solicitation to prostitution or attempts at sex trafficking of minors. The seizure of backpage.com by the US DOJ in 2018 is only one among many examples of this trend.
We all applaud the tough enforcement of the law against sexual predators, but the fact is, there are also numerous innocent people accused of sex crimes every year, and there are many others who are overcharged by overzealous prosecuting attorneys.
At Sex Crimes Attorney, we have a deep understanding of both federal and state level sex crime laws and have been successfully defending our clients against all manner of sex crimes charges for many years. If you or someone you love has recently been charged with a sex crime, or if you are under investigation and fear you may soon be charged with a sex crime, do not hesitate to reach out to us for help.
Contact us anytime 24/7/365 by calling 888-666-8480 for a free legal consultation.
Attorney of Counsel - Michael Taibi
Michael Taibi is an exceptional criminal defense attorney who is recognized for professional excellence in defending individuals facing serious felony and misdemeanor sex crime charges in San Diego. Using the breadth and depth of the experience he’s acquired in over the 25 years he has been in practice, Mr. Taibi has helped hundreds of clients avoid jail, heavy fines, lifetime sex offender registration, and other serious consequences of California sex offenses. With the effective legal strategies and a proactive approach in legal preparation, Mr. Taibi has secured positive, extraordinary outcomes for his clients.
He understands the corrosive nature of sex crime allegations and is experienced with helping his clients cope with the emotional turmoil to focus on achieving a successful outcome and protecting their future. Mr. Taibi is a highly skilled litigator, negotiator, and trial attorney. Mr. Taibi has earned a reputation as a tireless and aggressive advocate providing sex crimes legal services to his clients who have to face the San Diego, Vista, and Southern California courts. He utilizes every available resource fight sex crime allegations.
Mr. Taibi was admitted to practice law in California in 1992 and is authorized to practice in all California courts, including the Supreme Court of California, Federal District Court, and all Courts of Appeal. Because of the respect he has earned in California State Courts and federal courts, Mr. Taibi is often able to get the charges dismissed or reduced so that his clients receive a lesser sentence. Mr. Taibi never hesitates to take a case to trial when a reasonable plea agreement or dismissal cannot be achieved. Mr. Taibi handles sex crime defense cases with the utmost skill, dedication, and discretion.
- California Western School of Law, San Diego
- Juris Doctorate, 1992
- Davidson College, North Carolina
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics, 1989
PROFESSIONAL & BAR ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California and the Criminal Law Section of the State Bar
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Consumer Attorneys of California
Senior Trial Attorney of Counsel - Thomas Matthews
Thomas Matthews is a well-respected trial attorney who has handled over a thousand cases throughout his 26 years of experience. Mr. Matthews, a firm believer in integrity and empathy, is a problem solver who will do everything in his power to help his clients get a second chance and preserve their freedom. Due to his exceptional trial and criminal defense skills, Mr. Matthews has recently been recognized as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers. As a testament to his service, Mr. Matthews has earned hundreds of five-star reviews in addition to receiving endorsements from many reputable organizations and clients. Many of Mr. Matthews cases are dropped as a result of his unique defense strategies and enduring commitment.
After experiencing what he thought to be a severe case of injustice involving a close member of his family, Mr. Matthews gathered the inspiration to become a lawyer. Thomas Matthews earned his law degree from California Western School of Law after graduating from Stockton University in New Jersey. Mr. Matthews began his own law practice after passing the bar exam on the first attempt. Over 26 years, Thomas has become well respected by judges and his peers, resulting in an A-plus rating from the Better Business Bureau and 5-star ratings from Avvo, Google, and Yelp.
Mr. Matthews is licensed to practice before all state courts of California, including the United States Court of Appeal for the Third Circuit, the United States District Court for both the Central and Southern California Districts, and the United States Supreme Court. He is a member of the National Trial Lawyers Association, Consumer Attorneys of California, the Criminal Defense Bar Association, and the Criminal Justice Act Panel for the United States District Court.
Thomas Matthews has handled many various cases, some of which include multiple international narcotics trafficking and money laundering cases from Arizona, California, Kansas, Nevada, New Jersey, Texas, and Washington DC. His experience handling Federal Crimes, Felony Crimes, and Misdemeanors is what will help you win your case.
- California Western School of Law
- Juris Doctor – 1991
- Stockton University
- Bachelor of Arts - 1988
- Super Lawyer – 2018
- Super Lawyer – 2017
- 10 Best – American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys, 2015
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers – National Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Lead Attorney – Law Office of Thomas P. Matthews, 1992 – Present
- Senior Supervising Lawyer – Liberty Lawyers, 2005 – Present
- Criminal Justice Act Panel Member, 2010 – Present
- Internship – Attorney General of American Samoa, 1991
- Internship – San Diego Public Defender’s Office, 1991
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- State Bar of California
- San Diego Criminal Defense Bar Association
- National Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Directors, California Western School of Law Alumni Association, 2018-2021
LEGAL COURSE INSTRUCTOR
- Criminal Defense for the Non-Criminal Practitioner – CLE – 2018
- California Department of Corrections
- San Diego Police Department
- United States Navy
- Recognized as one of California’s top criminal defense attorneys by Super Lawyers Magazine in 2018
- Hundreds of cases dismissed
- Numerous “Not Guilty” verdicts in State and Federal Court
Private Investigator of Counsel - Kevin Roncevich
Kevin Roncevich honorably served in the active naval service of the United States from 1997 to 2001. Mr. Roncevich was stationed in San Diego, CA and was deployed twice to the Persian Gulf under the banner of Operation Southern Watch, which aimed at ensuring that the political and human rights of Iraqi citizens are respected. He was onboard the USS Abraham Lincoln. During Mr. Roncevich’s 1998 deployment, the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier battle group targeted two sites and launched Tomahawks cruise missiles against them. The first target point was a Sudanese pharmaceutical factory that was suspected of making chemical weapons to help Osama Bin Laden with his terrorist attacks. The other site was a terrorist training camp in Afghanistan believed to have been operated by Bin Laden.
Thirteen days after the U.S. embassies in Tanzania and Kenya were bombed by terrorists, President Clinton ordered three strikes, which were named Operation Infinite Reach. Mr. Roncevich received several recognitions and awards during his service in the United States Navy.
PERSONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND AWARDS
- Coast Guard Unit Commendation with Operational Distinguishing Device
- Sailor of the Month
- Navy Achievement Medal
- Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (2)
- Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (2)
- Flag Letter of Commendation
- Meritorious Unit Commendation (2)
- Commendation Letter from United States Navy Rear Admiral
- Navy Achievement Medal
- Good Conduct Medal
- Letter of Appreciation from Commanding Officer HS-4
- Battle “E” Award
- Junior Sailor of the Month
- Commendation Letter from Commanding Officer HS-4
- Flag Letter of Commendation
From November 2001 to April 2002, Mr. Roncevich attended the Golden West Police Academy after his service at the United States Navy. He was always top of his class and in February 2002, he got a position with the Cypress Police Department. In this position, Mr. Roncevich worked as a training officer, patrol officer, a criminal investigations detective, and SWAT team member. Mr. Roncevich has thousands of hours on the job training and over 2,000 hours of formal training. He has also undergone advanced officer training, including:
As a training officer with the City of Cypress, Mr. Roncevich had the responsibility of training and evaluating new officers to ensure that they can be able to handle their duties unaccompanied in a skillful, safe, professional, and efficient manner. New officers are typically assessed on performance (including but not limited to officer safety, driving skills, knowledge of city, state, and federal laws, and report writing), overall conduct, and improvement.
Mr. Roncevich played a key role in ensuring public safety by enforcing criminal and motor vehicle laws, responding to emergencies, maintaining order, promoting good community relations, and protecting people and property. He was also involved in the identification, pursuit, and apprehension of perpetrators and suspects of criminal acts. Part of his job as a patrol officer was reviewing facts of occurrences to determine if city municipal violations or state and federal criminal acts were committed. In some cases, a patrol officer can act as a witness or present evidence of criminal and traffic cases in court. During booking and pre-trial processes, Mr. Roncevich had to regularly process prisoners, prepare and maintain records of prisoner status and bookings.
CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS DETECTIVE
As a criminal investigations detective, Kevin Roncevich worked on property crimes (such as theft, burglary, vandalism), fraud cases (such as fraudulent use of access cards and identity theft), and crimes against persons (such as homicide, domestic violence, sexual assault cases, and robbery). For the 4 years that Mr. Roncevich served as police detective, his job tasks included of performing criminal investigations, maintaining knowledge on all factual requirements, establishing suspects and witnesses, assisting to obtain all required statements, coordinating with the crime lab team to monitor conditions of victims and perform tests on evidence collected from the scene of the crime. Mr. Roncevich also worked directly with the office of the district attorney and played a crucial role in building strong cases for jury trials.
As a police detective/investigator, Mr. Roncevich’s job involved writing search warrants, taking them to the district attorney’s office for review, and signing the search warrant. He also spent hundreds of hours following criminal suspects and conducting undercover surveillance operations, as well as conducting static surveillance on location to help with the preparation of arrest or search warrants. During his tenure as a lead investigator, he would oversee outside law enforcement (such as Secret Service, DOJ, FBI, etc.) and other groups of investigators/detectives to work complex cases. This role also involved supervising and managing 25 more law enforcement professionals.
PERSONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND AWARDS
- Recognition Letter from the Cypress Chief of Police for planning an approach that thwarted the escape of felony vandalism suspects who were successfully apprehended
- Gold Distinguished Service Medal for valor and heroism shown during a shooting involving an officer and an armed robbery suspect.
- Letter of Recognition from the Cypress Chief of Police collaboration and commitment in a large scale search for a robbery suspect
- Letter of Appreciation from Los Alamitos Chief of Police for successful apprehension of suspects who had fled from police officers
- Letter of Commendation from the Office of the Orange County District Attorney for investigating a high profile case
- Letter of Recognition from the Cypress Police Narcotics Sergeant with respect to an informant referral that brought about the arrest of two subjects for the possession of a firearm, a large amount of methamphetamine, scales, packaging material, and drug paraphernalia.
- Formal recognition from the Cypress Chief of Police for the seizure and arrest of controlled substance suspects who had fled from officers.
- Letter of Appreciation from American Rentals for solving a complex case involving theft of industrial equipment.
- Letter of Commendation following a bank robbery that led to a vehicle pursuit and the arrest of the bandits.
- Structured and implemented a form that is used department-wide when investigating subjects under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
Mr. Roncevich previous experience a police officer allows him to readily establish a rapport and cooperation with law enforcement officers. Since many cases involve working with the police, Mr. Roncevich is able to create a positive relationship.
ADVANCED OFFICER TRAINING
- California Narcotic Officer Association Training in Drug Abuse Recognition
- Certified in Alcohol Sensor Device by the Orange County Sheriff’s Department
- Sexual Assault/Child Abuse Training by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department
- Riverside County Sheriff’s Department Criminal Investigations Training
- Elder Abuse Investigation Training provided by the Orange County Sheriff’s Department
- Emergency Response To Terrorism Cases Training by the Orange County Sheriff’s Department
- Courtroom Testimony Training by the Riverside County Sheriffs’ Department
- Orange County Sheriff’s Department Training on Homicide Investigation
- Riverside County Sheriff’s Department Training on Advanced Interview and Interrogation
- Vehicle Theft Training by Orange County Sheriff’s Department
- City of Cypress DNA Evidence Collection Training
- Search Warrant Instructions Training by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department
- Identity Theft Training at the San Diego Regional Training Center
- PENI Street Gang Training by The Orange County Training Managers Association and The Southern California Skinhead Task Force
- Certified in the Lawful Interception of Electronic Cellular Telephone Communications or Wire and Electronic Digital Pager by the California Department of Justice
- Certified in the Identification of Counterfeit Digital Video Disc by The Motion Picture Association Of America
- Certificate of Training with the QUICKCHECK Narcotic Identification Kit
After retiring from the Cypress Police Department in 2013, Mr. Roncevich started a private security firm. As the vice president and owner of the firm, he developed a business plan that includes a description of the basic business concept, the product or service, the operations plan, the overall goal, deadlines for the business, how to finance the business (investors and loans), and the target market. Mr. Roncevich was tasked with setting out short- and long-term plans, reviewing financials and sales report, and then comparing them to the firm’s goals. His duties as a business owner/vice president also involved reviewing profit-and-loss statements and other reports related to the firm’s balance sheets. The other duties and responsibilities of Mr. Roncevich include (but not limited to) making decisions, identifying and addressing problems, streamlining systems and process to improve quality and productivity, and interpreting results based on quantitative techniques. Here are some of the accomplishments of Mr. Roncevich’s company as well as his personal accomplishments.
- Directly in charge of the purchase, deployment, and maintenance of 35 patrol vehicles into the firm’s armada.
- Accountable for the successful direction and operation of the company’s Operations Division / Sales Division which was accomplished from zero revenue from the firm’s inception. The company collected over 4 million dollars by the end of the third year. Part of Mr. Roncevich’s achievement was projected a 5.5 million dollars growth in sales by the end of the fourth year while maintaining 150 employees company-wide and a 40 percent profit margin.
- Certificate of Recognition for service to the community given by the San Jacinto School District.
- Named as the second fastest growing small business in Orange County, California by the Orange County Business Journal.
In 2015, Mr. Roncevich opened up a Private Investigations Firm while still owning and running the private security company. The company is known as Elite Enforcement Security Solutions, Inc. As the private investigator and owner of the firm, Mr. Roncevich provides services in Welfare/Insurance Fraud Investigations, COE/AOE Investigations, Civil Investigations, and Criminal Investigations. Mr. Roncevich also provides expert witness testimony.
And even with a busy and demanding professional career, Mr. Roncevich has still found time to obtain professional licenses and expand his professional knowledge through education. He has earned:
- More than 55 General Education units from Coastline Community College, Golden West College, and Cypress College
- Used Vehicle Pre-Licensing Education Program Certificate of Completion
- Private Investigator – Bureau of Security and Investigative Services
- Basic Peace Officer Standards and Training certificate
- Private Patrol Operator – Bureau of Security and Investigative Services
- Intermediate Peace Officer Standards and Training certificate
- Guard Card – Bureau of Security and Investigative Services
- Advanced Peace Officer Standards and Training certificate
Director of Client Operations - Thomas Beck
Mr. Beck joins the team as the Senior Executive and Director of Client Operations. Mr. Beck has spent nearly 20 years as an industry leader with one of the largest consumer law firms in Arizona. Mr. Beck brings a dedication of excellence that consistently exceeds client’s expectations, through tenacity and hard work that people have grown to know and trust as an intricate part of the successful team. Mr. Beck has limited his professional intake duties to criminal defense, family law, and both restraining and protective orders. Mr. Beck is a critical member in the early development and works under the direct supervision of the supervising attorneys. The personal dedication and careful attention to detail make certain that each client is given the best in customer service and we are available to clients at all hours of the day and every day of the week. We strive to make each client feel like our only client and we promise to take the time and listen carefully about your case and work as a team to get the best result as possible.
Classes of Sex Crimes
The way particular criminal sexual acts are categorized by federal versus the various state level criminal codes is quite various. But nonetheless, there are a number of basic sex crimes practice areas that emerge, and we at Sex Crimes Attorney have many years of experience in handling cases in all of these particular areas. Lower level sex crimes are usually things like "indecent exposure" or "lewd and lascivious acts" (in public), but even these can create a permanent criminal record and result in mandatory sex offender registration.
But offenses like rape, statutory rape, spousal rape, sexual assault and/or battery, sexual molestation of a minor, continuous sexual abuse of a minor, prostitution or solicitation of a prostitute, sex trafficking, failure to register as a sex offender, and many more are very serious felonies that can result in years in state or federal prison.
Sex crimes vary widely in severity and in nature, and all they really have in common is that all of them have "something to do with sex." But the complexities of how sex crimes are defined and the sometimes unexpected ways in which certain sex crimes are punished, makes it imperative that you have the benefit of a top-tier sex crimes defense lawyer no matter which specific sex crime charge you may be facing.
Federal VS State Sex Crimes
Almost all sex crimes are covered by a state level statute, but many of them are also federal offenses. For example, child pornography crimes, Internet sex crimes, and sex crimes where state or international boundaries are crossed are likely to be prosecuted on the federal level.
Child sex trafficking, prostitution, use of the mail or "interstate facilities" to commit a sex crime, and attempts to entice children into situations where they will be victimized by sex offenders, be kidnapped, or commit sex crimes themselves are all penalized under federal law.
And realize that you can simultaneously be prosecuted and sentenced for both state and federal violations for the very same incident(s). That means the potential full punishment could be extremely long-lasting and severe.
Federal prison terms for many felony and aggravated sex crimes can be a minimum of 10 years and easily be 15, 20, 30 years or life. And that's not counting any state prison term, remember. When facing these types of charges, your whole future life is at stake, and you can't afford to entrust your case to anyone but the very best.
Defending Against Sex Crimes
There are many available defenses we at Sex Crimes Attorney use against sex crime allegations. While the exact defense strategy must fit the specific charge and the details of your case, there are also many basic defenses that come up in numerous types of sex crime cases.
Police entrapment or other violations of the defendant's rights like illegal search and seizure, planting of evidence, falsification of police reports, or arrest without reading you your Miranda Rights or without probable cause can all help get many sex crimes cases dismissed.
In many other cases, you may have been falsely charged by someone holding a grudge against you or by an ex spouse hoping to win a child custody or visitation rights battle by slandering you with a sex crime charge. Or, it could a case of mistaken identity or of purely circumstantial and inconclusive evidence being exaggerated by the prosecution.
No matter which sex crime you are being charged with, be it on the state or federal level or both, Sex Crimes Attorney will know how to build you a solid defense and win your case.
Contact us 24/7 at 888-666-8480 for a free consultation, and we can give immediate attention to your case!